Sunday, June 9, 2013

Week 1

I can't even believe that the first week has already flown by.  I also find it strange and amazing that the 25 very pale and new faces I met on Monday have already become good friends.  I'll try and keep this week recap short and sweet, but so much has happened!


After arriving at the Provo airport on Monday, I met up with the SFS group and we were ferried over to the island of South Caicos.  It felt almost like being a freshman again..there were so many new faces to get to know and they were from all over the country.  When we arrived at the docks, we were welcomed by all of the staff and interns.  From there we walked up to the center, which you can clearly see is beautiful in the pictures below, and were assigned roommates and rooms.  The rest of the night involved moving in, hanging mosquito netting, and trying to get to know everyone.

The next few days consisted of me still trying to get names straight, along with class, exploring the island and most importantly SNORKELING!  So far we've been to a few different sites and each time we see more and more.  Never in my life did I ever think I  would be chasing after sharks and barracudas instead of swimming away from them as fast as possible.  I feel like Steve Irwin (my childhood hero), swimming with eagle rays, lion fish, and all of the other inhabitants of the reefs. 

Saturday was community out reach day, and the center was flooded with kids.  We did crafts, gave swim lessons, as well as played endless games of knock out.  Then we had the rest of the day as well as today to spend exploring the island and get some serious R&R.

I don't know what will happen next, but I can't wait to find out! I'm in love with South Caicos!!

No comments:

Post a Comment